BACK TO WEBSITE

9.15.2011

The Significance of Sketchbooks (and the art of Peeling Eyes)

Ever since the famous Heather Layton burdened her Intro Painting class with her famous Sketchbook assignment, I've been growing a sort of obsession with the media. The assignment was to buy a sketchbook, and fill it up. No more rules.

I didn't add to it everyday so you can imagine by the end of the semester I had quite a bit of work to do. But I loved the assignment because at the end, I had my whole semester in my hands. I could see what I was thinking about and how I developed over a few months.

When I went to Germany last fall I knew if I wasn't drawing everyday, my artistic prowess (what?) would diminish significantly. So I created an assignment for myself: I bought a sketchbook and I had to fill it. But this time, I would have to make an entry everyday.

I called it a sketchbook journal and it was HARD. Sometimes I slipped or didn't feel like making anything, sometimes I spat out masterpieces. The point is, I'm so glad I did it. I'm going to remember my experience studying abroad so much more vividly with the help of this little book.

So what makes a sketchbook different from a piece of paper or several pieces of paper? I think there really is a significance to the idea of a book-- it has a connotation of something educational, something that informs us-- something that tells a story.

The fact that it's bound is also important, giving us the feeling that this all goes together somehow.

http://jamesjean.com/sketch/2009/Mole+C/11
  I've known about artist James Jean for awhile, but I dug him up again during my inspiration from sketchbooks. A talented painter, Jean also has an extensive collection of moleskins and sketchbooks which are archived on his website, and I encourage you to take a look. His rendition of the human figure is fantastic.

I hope to explore the power of the sketchbook more this year, so keep your eyes peeled.


(Who came up with that expression? Gross.)

No comments:

Post a Comment